Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Jon's Enchiladas

These are named after Jon because they're his favorite.
I'm making a huge batch tonight because he has to fend for himself for the next week while I'm in Chicago for Christmas. Ironically, I am sure he will eat all of this before Christmas Day even arrives.

This is no adventure for me...I make them all the time. So I'll share the recipe.

It's a different take on enchiladas. No red sauce. No green chili. Tons of fat. Oh, and I don't roll up my enchiladas in tortillas. So it is more of a casserole. I love corn tortillas for enchiladas, not flour. But they always fall apart on me, so I adapted my recipe.

Jon's Enchiladas
For filling:
1 lb chicken breast
1 onion, chopped
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
salt
pepper
chile powder (I've been using ancho chili powder lately, it's awesome)
1 cup cheddar cheese

For sauce:
1 cup milk
8 oz sour cream
1 small can of green chiles
1 can cream of chicken soup


corn tortillas
cheddar cheese to top
other optional toppings: black olives, green onions

1. Cook chicken however you'd like - grill, bake, boil, etc. Crock pot works great. I've cooked my chicken and onion together in my crock pot with chicken broth and chile powder all day before - the chicken falls apart so well.
2. Shred chicken. Mix together with onion, cream cheese, and seasonings.
3. For sauce: bring milk to a boil. Add other ingredients, simmer 10 min.
5. Line bottom of casserole dish with corn tortillas. Spoon in chicken filling. Cover with corn tortillas. Pour sauce over casserole.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 or until bubbly.
7. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Bake 10 min.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment