Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gourmet BBQ

I swear - we've had this slab of ribs in our freezer for an eternity. Every time I go digging into the freezer, I am salivating over those ribs. Finally, there was a day when the boy had enough time to throw them on the smoker. YUMMY.

He used a Kansas City BBQ rub and some applewood chips that I had gotten him for his birthday. I believe that he cooked them for about 3 hours...but I can't take any credit for the ribs, because I was off snuggling baby Sawyer. ;)

Earlier in the day, I had boiled some fingerling potatoes and doused them with white wine vinegar. To make my dressing for my potato salad I used: 3/4 cup mayo, 3/4 cup sour cream, and a tablespoon of dijon mustard. I also added chopped celery, onions, and parsley and let that chill in the fridge all day.

If that's not enough fat for you...I had to fry some asparagus. Yes, you heard me correctly. Blanched asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and then dredged in an egg wash and flour...fried in canola oil. No fat at all, right?


I'm calling this gourmet BBQ because...come on, that potato salad is pretty yuppie. No? And most BBQ joints aren't equipped with prosciutto ham. Or asparagus. So this is a "dressed up" country dinner.

The potato salad was tangy due to the sour cream and the vinegar...and I really liked that difference in taste. The asparagus had a great crisp to them, although they made this meal very filling. The ribs were perfectly meaty and fell right off the bone (once again, I take no credit).

But we couldn't finish this massive meal.


Jon said he was so full afterward that he could have just fallen asleep. And then he proceeded to go straight to the cupboard and pull out of chocolate peanut butter brownie.

"What? Dessert goes to a different compartment in your stomach."

Touche, babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment